Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Christmas Cornbread


Yes, I know it's April. I don't care. I can't tell you how excited I am to share this with you, even if I am 8 months early. It's that good!

When I was young, my mom made a sausage stuffed cornbread that I just loved. The entire family did. She usually made it as a holiday breakfast, especially on Christmas morning. One of the reasons that she made it for Christmas was because it's a quick assembly job. Also, it can be made ahead of time & travels well.

Having been a vegetarian since long before I began cooking, it had been years since I gave this dish any thought, but the minute it came to mind, I HAD to veganize it. Without a net, I went to work. The end result is unbelievably gratifying!! I defy any cornbread eating, sausage loving omni to taste it and not love it. I dare you!

Compassionate Christmas Cornbread

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup vegan milk (I used So Delicious' original coconut milk)
2 TB real maple syrup
2 TB vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti's non-hydrogenated sour cream. I do NOT recommend Follow Your Heart's sour cream)
1 TB canola oil
3/4 cup Daiya cheddar style shreds
1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
3 jalapeƱo peppers, cleaned & diced (about 1/2 cup)

5 LightLife Smart Links breakfast sausage

1 glass loaf pan

Preheat oven to 375 F & lightly spray/grease your loaf pan. (FYI, I use a reusable misting canister. It requires some serious elbow grease, but it's worked well for me & I've yet to have it clog up. Much better for the enviornment! ...Yes, I know I'm a tree hugger. Someone has to be. I can't even begin to count how many disposable cans I've been through.)

Put your dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl & mix well. Create a well & add the rest of your ingredients, except for the sausage links. With a fork, mix until fully combined.

Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan. Rest one link in the center, then evenly space the remaining four links on top of the batter.


Pour the remainder of the batter on top & gently spread it evenly.


Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until golden & a toothpick comes out "dry" (slightly sticky is OK). Let it stand for 10 - 15 minutes, until you can coax the cornbread out of the pan without it tearing. Slice & serve as is, or with an extra dollop of vegan sour cream.

YUM!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy! Thank you for sharing your recipe for Christmas Cornbread! We don't care that it's April, it looks like it would be SO delicious anytime!

    ReplyDelete